The Learning Assistance and Resource Center proudly embraces the values of West Chester University and remains committed to treating all members of our community with respect and dignity. Read the full WCU Values statement.
Weekly tutoring for summer One starts On Tue, May 30th and ends on Fri, June 30th.
THE LEARNING ASSISTANCE AND RESOURCE CENTER
The Learning Assistance and Resource Center provides academic support through tutoring and academic success coaching services to promote independent and active learners at West Chester University.
To bring the Learning Assistance and Resource Center into the Digital Age, including more online tutoring and success coaching options, virtual staff assistance, and more online collaboration opportunities
To continue and develop on-campus partnerships with various academic and co-curricular units, faculty members, and offices to enhance student support
To be a model for best practices of tutoring and success coaching services through faculty, staff, and student research and to put theory into practice
To be implementing, evaluating, and assessing the methods to continuously improve the department services
Students will walk away from the Learning Assistance and Resource Center with one or more of the following:
The ability to apply learning strategies to promote their own student success in various disciplines
Leadership skills to be used in their future career and educational opportunities
Gain self-awareness through identifying personal strengths and building up areas of improvement
We want you to walk out of the LARC a little more confident than you walked in.
Important LARC Information
Summer One Tutoring Virtual Zoom Links
- All Summer I sessions are virtual and take place in the tutor zoom link
- Summer 2023 Tutor Zoom Links
Summer One 2023 Information
- All Summer One tutoring is appointment based and virtual
- Tutoring runs from 5/30/23-6/30/23. No tutoring 6/19/23
- Tutoring for the following courses: ACC 201, 202, BIO 100, 204, 210, 214, 259, CHE 103, 104, 107, 231, CSC 110, 112, 141, 231, 240, ECO 111, 112, 251, MAT 100-121, 143, 161-62, PHY 130 ,170 & Success Coaching
Fall 2023 Information
- *NOTE: Fall 2023 detailed tutoring dates/information will be posted here when available.*
- All LARC services are free to students.
The LARC will offer both in-person and virtual tutoring sessions for Fall 2023. While we encourage the use of masks, they are optional at this time.
All in-person sessions will take place in 224 Lawrence (except Music, which will be in Swope Music Library).
Tutor Registration for Weekly, Recurring Sessions will open on (date will be posted when available). Make individual appointments here (starting date will be posted when available): https://wcupa.mywconline.net/
Make weekly appointments by visiting the LARC in-person or virtually here: https://waitwhile.com/welcome/wcularc
Success Coaching will be available in-person or online starting (date will be posted when available).
Any question regards to tutoring should be directed to Gabrielle Stanley at gstanley@WCUPA.EDU.
Any question regards to success coaching or Academic Success Workshops should be directed to Dr. Jocelyn Manigo at JManigo@WCUPA.EDU.
General questions can go to LARC@wcupa.edu.
Cancellation & No Show Guidelines
- Students are responsible for canceling their own appointments. All students can cancel an individual appointment by logging onto WC Online.
- Students can cancel up to 3 hours in advance. Anything less than 3 hour notice will be considered a "no-show."
- If a student has 3 "no-shows" (aka three missed appointments), the student's WC Online account will be locked. As long as they are not in the same course, a LARC staff member will notify the student and unlock the account.
- If a student misses three sessions of the SAME COURSE (e.g. three BIO 110 sessions), the rest of the schedule will be cancelled and a students account will remain locked.
- We at the LARC try to provide flexibility to students by allowing cancellations up to 3 hours in advance. We prefer that students stay home if they are feeling ill. If an emergency arises (e.g. illness that required a doctor's visit, car accident, funeral, etc.), please reach out to LARC staff and discuss having the appointment cancelled after the fact. HOWEVER, same day cancellations should be rare and reserved for illness or other emergency.
- If a student cancels same day 3 times, the account will be locked and LARC staff will reach out to see if the student still wants tutoring for that course.
- If a student cancels same day 4 times, they will lose the weekly tutoring appointment but can still make individual appointments when needed.
What are students saying about our tutors?
- "[Basile] I had the opportunity to ask questions and work on what I needed to with extra help and explanations from Basile."
- "[Niajah] she knows what she is talking about. She is able to demonstrate lessons and how things work in [biology] on the whiteboard, and high makes it easier to understand."
- "[Lindsay's] strengths [are] being able to explain step by step how to complete chem math equations. She was great and I was able to be successful in the course due to her."
- "[Mathew] did an amazing job going over the material! He knows how to effectively give examples ."
- "[Abigail] I felt comfortable expressing any confusion I had and she helped me to understand the chemistry concepts way better. She listened to my questions really well."
- "Lillian is amazing! She tries to help with anything she can. She is so smart and I would not have succeeded in this class without her. "
- "[Alexa] is a great listener, very kind, is great at helping you understand ways that are easier for you even if it's different from her preferences."
- "[Ethan] Love how he makes you think about your answers. Honestly would be a good teacher - I approve! Also will send my friends to him!"
*Quotes taken from Spring 2023 anonymous tutor evaluation surveys.